Sunday, February 2, 2014

Fostering Animals: How to Let Them Go

A friend of mine received this e-mail recently and I thought it would be useful if I shared his response and my thoughts on the letter with all of you:

Dear Gary,

I need help with a pressing issue. I have been fostering a cat for the past 6 months and unfortunately my housing no longer allows this. She is going to a good home (one in which I can visit her), however I will miss her very much. I want to foster animals in the future, but I am worried that letting them go will be too hard.

Please help!

This was his response: 

I think it's great that you chose to foster a cat and provide it with the loving care and shelter that all foster animals deserve! I know how hard it is to let go of a foster animal that you've taken such good care for. Keep in mind how much better off she will be in her new home. It makes things a bit easier.

I recommend keeping in touch with the new families of the foster animals you have cared for. In addition, live in a place where pets are openly accepted.


Ultimately, you want to do what is best for your fosters and a finding them a good home is the best hope for their future. You should always remember that fostering is a labor of love and by doing so, you are saving the life of a homeless animal that could use all the support it can get.


Your kindness and strength in allowing them to go to a wonderful adoptive home reflects that selfless love and effort. So don't worried about letting them go. Be proud and continue to open your heart to a loving animal in need!



Image from dogfostermom.com

I feel that my friend's recommendations were spot on. If I could additional wisdom it would be this:

             It is not possible to save and keep every animal that you come across. By fostering animals, you are not only sharing your love with more animals, but you are making it possible to save many more lives! If you find yourself becoming very attached to your fosters, consider asking the new family to friend you on Facebook. That way, they can tag you in photos of the animal, and you can observe from a distance the love and joy that you helped bring into your foster's life as well as the lives of the family members. I think the satisfaction will help to overcome any feelings of sadness.  

No comments:

Post a Comment